Monday, August 29, 2005

Scene 28: Court

Whew, it's been a while! Wish I could say there just haven't been any tall happenings, but I can't. I've just been busy w/ wedding crap. So anyway...

Some time last week, I'm in court.. .doing the lawyer thing. Two inmates are shackled together waiting to talk to someone about their cases. I ask the one on the left if he's going to be needing an interpreter. The Latino inmate to the right of him looks over at me and then says to the other guy in Spanish, all casual-like:

Inmate on the right: Es muy pequena, no? (Translation: "She's really small, huh?)"
I flash him a perterbed look and say: Entiendo lo que dices. Yo hablo espanol. (Translation: "I can understand what you're saying. I speak Spanish.")

Inmate on the right laughs embarrasingly cuz he knows he straight up just got caught talking about me. He's just lucky I wasn't the prosecutor handling his case that day.

I just love it when Spanish-speakers talk trash and assume i can't tell what they're saying. Here's a newsflash: I'm 6'5", I'm a girl, I don't play basketball, AND I'M A NATIVE SPANISH SPEAKER!! Holy crap, what are the odds??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home