Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Scene 53: Casablanca Bar

Friday night I met up w/ some old high school classmates at a reunion pre-party. It seemed everyone had a tall comment.. here are a couple..

This guy comes up to me and starts standing up really straight, trying to be taller than me.

Me: Keep trying, I don't think it's going to work.
Cocky athlete: How you doing, do you remember me?
Me: Remind me again what your name is (he did not look even a little bit familiar)
Cocky athlete: Jewel Something-or-other. Only the best athlete Las Vegas High School has ever seen! Man, you're sexy, how tall are you?
Me: 6'5".
Me: Ooh man, that's sexy.

I don't remember where it went from there. I think I told him I was getting married in a month and he didn't want to talk to me anymore.

Then I ran into this really friendly drunk girl who used to be in my P.E. class in 9th grade. She pretty much kept running into me all night saying the same things over and over and over and over. I didn't really say anything back to her, other than thanks, but here's the type of stuff she kept saying:

"You're so tall and so beautiful! You're a supermodel - my beautiful Latina supermodel! My very own Tyra Banks! You're like, special. Everyone else is the same, but you're like, so special. You stand out. You're like a goddess! You are! You're a goddess! A supermodel goddess!"

((blush blush)) Have another drink.. :-)

I also got multiple remarks regarding whether I'd grown since high school. I gave the standard response" "I haven't grown since I was 16 years old. You must have shrunk." That's about it.

5 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Autumn said...

Way to be witty! The air must be better up there because you are really bright. It is rough to be singled out. It is wonderful that you want to encourage others! Just don't forget that we've all have to overcome to avoid being overlooked or looked over!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

Thanks Autumn. :-)

 
At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your funny ..crazy sight accidently came across :) ..youd think people would be afraid to ask you questions. :) go figure...good luck

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stop reading your blog. Now that is the most irritating comment. Have you grown since highschool and are you still growing? That is so stupid...I have noticed that black men are usually the ones to ask me that. Funny, I have never gotten it from any one else.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger TaraTooTall said...

"have you grown?" ugh. "No, you forgot the shock of my giantness"
my own dad asked me this once, age 23

 

Post a Comment

<< Home