Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Scene 63: Grandpa's funeral, Barstow, CA

Speaking of inopportune.. I went to my grandpa's funeral at a church last Friday. A couple different old ladies came up and exclaimed about what a tall drink of water I was, and all the usual jazz..

I overheard another old lady talking to my grandma, saying: "That's your granddaughter?? That tall girl there? She's so tall! My goodness, she's tall!"

My grandma said, "But isn't she pretty?"

I turned around, flashed them both a look and said: "'But??' What do you mean 'but?' AND. I'm tall AND pretty, not tall BUT pretty."

The other old lady persisted as if she didn't hear or understand a word I said: "She's so tall!"

And so did my grandma: "But she's pretty!"

I left pretty soon after that..

3 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To their generation, being tall is a liability for a young lady - you ain't gonna change 'em now.
You probably missed the part where they whispered about you being 27 and unmarried and your grandmother said, "BUT, she's managed to finally trap a man"

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

:-) True dat.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger TaraTooTall said...

At 6'2", I too have heard the "you're so tall, but you're really pretty".
This one is worse, I think, "You're so tall! At least you're not fat!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home