Friday, January 13, 2006

Scene 204: First Friday

So we're running around at the local monthly arts festival, and we stop by this one guy's gallery, who makes woodcarvings. I walk in and he says:

Woodcarver: Hey, how ya doing? When are you going to bring a picture in so I can do one of you?
Me: (Thinking that's cool, is he talking about charging me for a piece or is he just saying he wants to use me as a model?) Seriously?
Woodcarver: Oh yeah, I've been a big fan of yours for a long time. Go UConn!
Me: (Understanding now that this guy thinks I'm Rebecca Lobo, who used to play basketball for the University of Connecticut before she joined the New York Liberty. I decide to go with it and play the part. Why break the guy's heart? He's obviously a big fan who thinks he's meeting someone he admires.) Oh, thanks..
Woodcarver: So you live out here now?
Me: Yeah.
Woodcarver: Lots of basketball players are moving out here now. {Some male basketball player I never heard of] lives out here now, did you know that?
Me: Oh really? I didn't know that!
Woodcarver: And I heard [some female basketball player I'd never heard of] lives out here now too.
Me: Oh yeah, small world! (Ok, now I'm thinking I have to get out of there before he figures out I know nothing about basketball and basketball players, and that I'm not really who he thinks I am.) Alright, well, we have to go.. it was good to meet you.
Woodcarver: You too. I'm serious now. You bring back that picture and I'll make a piece for you. Anytime!
Me: Ok, thanks! Bye!! (rushing to get out of there asap.)

So now I have to try and figure out how to get a free woodcarving out of this fellow without letting on that I'm not really Rebecca Lobo.. Hmmmm....

5 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it might of just been the height thing... but after look throght your photo's, yeaaaa I could see the likeness. (between you and lobo)....I think this is a cool site you have here. ....you could sign a few basketball with your name and frame a signed picture of you and him together. it would be up to him what he tells his friends. no law against that.....hey it's his dream.

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute - you mean this is NOT Rebecca Lobo's blog? Oh my god, I've wasted so much precious time! These tall people are all alike - and they try to fool you, too :-(

"Don't harass Rebecca Lobo" blog could be a hit, don't you think?

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

Next month you have to do something really wrong at the whole art thing and see if you can start a Rebecca Lobo scandel.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger yournamehere said...

housekeeper's idea is great. Maybe you can get the Liberty to void Rebecca Lobo's contract on a morals clause.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a helpful article from a tall friend of mine. i thought you might have an interest in posting to your tall links section in one form or another... http://lifestyle.msn.com/BeautyandFashion/jewelryandaccessories/articleiv1.aspx?cp-documentid=172699>1=7607

 

Post a Comment

<< Home