Monday, November 03, 2008

Scene 222: CVS Pharmacy

You guys are so sweet. I've been getting a lot of requests to bring back the tall blog. That, coupled with the fact that I've gotten some really ridiculous remarks lately make me think I should bring it back. So here goes...

I was picking up photos at the drug store the other day, when this lady gets up right next to me and starts staring at me up and down in awe. She started circling me, ogling me all the while.

Then, even though I was in the middle of a conversation with the clerk behind the counter, she starts telling me about how tall I am. It's as if all of her social skills had flown out the window -- she just had to tell me how tall I was no matter if I was in the middle of a conversation with someone else.

Her eldferly mom was with her and told her to leave me alone. I pretty much just ignored her and kept talking over her to the clerk. As I stood there waiting for my pictures, she said, "You're so tall... but I still think you look feminine."

Oh no she didn't. I pretty much just walked away from her at that point. Here's a tall people interaction tip, in case you can't possibly control yourself and absolutely HAVE TO harass that tall person:

ACCEPTABLE: "You're so tall... AND beautiful!"

NOT ACCEPTABLE: "You're so tall... BUT at least you're beautiful!"

6 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Glad you're back! Tall AND beautiful - imagine that...

It's random how people in the blogosphere get lodged into our memories...I've never met you but I thought of you when I was in Germany last month. I was in a bar with a friend and his friends. When we got up to leave, I saw that one of the women was really tall - taller than my 6'5" fiance. But instead of asking her how tall she was, I didn't say a word about it! :) See, you've had an effect on a stranger! Your blog has fulfilled its purpose!

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger yournamehere said...

Hell yeah! Bringin' it back!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Disassociated Press said...

I am so glad to have found your blog. I am tall as well although not your height but I still get gawked at everywhere I go.( I mean the whole up to the head down to the feet and back) This particular post brought to mind the people who evaluate tall women for masculinity. It is so rude. I always deal with being stared at in America and now I deal with it daily in Italy. It's rough.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Karmakamelion said...

LOL

At 6ft 3" I'm not as tall as you but I often get the comment
"WOW, your tall"
My carefully refined resposne has now become...
*patting myself on the head and looking down at my feet* and saying "SHIT, your right I am tall never noticed that before."
I do get some nasty looks but then again they did point out the obvious.
I also get the your only 16!! Yes my height does not actually magically change my age.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Mo said...

Oh no she didn't.

DO NOT live in Malaysia. I'm a 6'4" guy and I was stared at and my height was remarked upon by everyone. Literally, every single person I interacted with. Many made it the subject of their jokes and expected me to laugh along at myself. I was good natured about it most of the time but sometimes, I wanted nothing more than to tell them off.

I do believe you'd get 10 times the comments I got so my point is... don't ever go live in East / Southeast Asia.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Egande said...

Hi all

I accidently found this blog recently, and just had to leave a comment.

I am a man, only 5'3" tall, around the same height of the average woman, and have always got comments about my height, or lack thereof.

I really think that tall women are amazing and I am fascinated about how their height affects them in their everyday lives.

On behalf of small people everywhere, I apologise for all those stupid comments about your height, not all of us are that rude.

I hope that it helps to get a small person's perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home