Monday, February 06, 2006

Scene 205: Court

Wow, it's been like a month since I last posted, huh? Don't worry, the tall-comments haven't stopped. I just haven't been posting. Sorry.. just got overwhelmed with other things I guess. Hope someone's still out there reading. If not, oh well, here goes my therapy session for today...

First, some background. The reason they call "passing the bar," "passing the bar" is because in a courtroom, there is always a partition with a little door that separates the audience (aka lay people) section from the court officer section. Typically, you can only go past that partition if you A) are a lawyer, or B) are invited to do so by a lawyer. In all other situations, it's the bailiff's job to tackle you if you try and get past that partition.

So I'm in court last Friday, negotiating cases with attorneys on the attorney-side of the courtroom. I am in the middle of discussing a case with an attorney, when I notice a black lady in a flannel shirt standing right next to the prosecution table, looming, no more than 3 inches from me. She's looking at me, obviously wanting to talk to me.

Me: Hi, can I help you w/ something?
Partition jumper: Yes, I have a question to ask you.
Me: Ok... go ahead. (thinking it's about a case)
Partition jumper: How tall are you?
Me: Are you kidding? Is that really what you came all the way over here to ask me?
Partition jumper: Yes.
Me: 6'5". Is that all?
Partition jumper: Yes.

Then she goes back to her seat in the audience. I just have one question: where the hell were the bailiffs?? This girl had no idea what she was doing.. like curiosity and the cat. I really wish they would have tackled her.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger Brandon_Megan said...

Holy crap, Claud - what kinda rinky-tink setup are they running over there? She coulda been a crazy psycho or something. I would have coldcocked her.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recon that - wrong place, wrong time... like when I had played on a X-mas concert and one of the men from the choir comes and ask me... what the heck - I'm there playing flute! my height had nothing to do with my music! it kind of makes me pissed off. Although.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home