Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Scene 34: The Gap

I walk in, and, to my pleasant surprise, the greeter working the door is a girl who is, like, roughly 6'2". We make eye contact and immediately exchange the tallperson-to-tallperson-recognition-glance. It's this weird moment when two tall people realize they're sharing the same airspace. It's like when you're on a lonely hiking trail and after two hours of solitude, you pass someone going the other direction. For whatever reason, you feel compelled to gesture some kind of acknowledgement, whether you say hi or just do the head nod thing. It's like a sharing of the solitude or something.

Anyway, I ended up buying a shirt from her register. This is how it went, pretty much:

Tall gap-girl: What's your inseam?

First of all, can I say how much greater that question is than the regular old, "how tall are you??" I think I've been asked for my inseam, like twice in my entire life. The answer to that is really much more impressive than the answer to the height question, in my opinion. Anyway....

Me: 38"
Tall gap-girl: Wow, yeah, I was looking and knew it had to be even longer than mine. Where do you find pants?

I started telling her about all the tall women clothes sites, then I took the opportunity to plug the blog. :-) She thought the idea was funny and wrote down the url. So, gap-girl, if you're reading this, props for the inseam question and good luck finding pants! I hope you like the blog!!

5 Comments:

At 7:39 AM, Blogger Kat said...

you're just building an amazon army. your real plan is to take over the world and rid it of short people who make stupid tall comments, isn't it?

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

By any chance, when the people are passing eachother on the trail is one of then taking a dump?

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

Mwah ha ha ha ha! Don't worry Kat, you qualify for my Tall-Justice-League. Just barely though. ;-)

Housekeeper - ha ha, you're a dork.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

Actually, I'm a "modern cool nerd".

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger yournamehere said...

Kat, you're right. As a new member of Claudia's tall squad, we are hell bent on world domination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home