Sunday, September 04, 2005

Scene 36: First Friday

The purpose of this memo is to inform all persons that tall people are not deaf. In addition, even if you're standing behind us, we can still hear you. Please be advised.

Friday we went out to First Friday, the local art gallery open-house that happens once a month on the first Friday of every month. As I'm walking in, a not-cute blonde-girl walks past me and, right when she gets a safe two inches behind me says, ever-so-discreetly, "Oh my God, did you see how tall she was??"

Knowing she'd soon have her head cranked back to get another look, I whipped my head backward to say an unexpected hello (or go to hell or whatever). I was all ready with the evil-eye when she looked back at me. She was totally not prepared. As soon as she caught on that I'd heard her and was now "mad-dogging" her, she glanced past me and tried to pass it off like she was just looking around. Mmm-hmmm..

5 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Now c'mon, wouldn't you rather her say it to the person she was with than say something asinine to you directly? Maybe she was hopped up on a little First Friday wine and spoke a little louder than she should have.

Are people not supposed to notice or comment that you are tall, ever? Or should this just be out of earshot?

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry. That was me.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

:-)

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

Shan- I'd rather they just not point out the very obvious fact that I'm tall.. And also not forget their manners just b/c they're caught up in the excitement of seeing someone tall. People are different - wow, what a novel concept.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger TaraTooTall said...

Happens ALL THE TIME! I admit, I have turned around and said, "you know, I can hear you"
I agree, its a lack of manners. I wouldn't loudly whisper to a friend, "look suzy, a midget"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home