Monday, September 05, 2005

Scene 37: The movies

I'm standing in line behind this older African-American lady. She turns to me and says:

Old lady: I just have to tell you how great it is to see you. You're like my friend, who's 82-years-old. She's 6'1", and now, all the young people are so tall that it's not as big of a deal, but, you know what she felt like back then. She used to hide her shoes cuz she was embarassed about how big her feet were. I think it's great the way you carry yourself, so tall and proud. And you're pretty too. I think it's great. It's so nice to see you. You go girl. Stand proud...

Me: Thanks.

I didn't really get a chance to say anything, really. The only thing that stopped her talking was the fact that it was my turn at the ticket counter. Even then, she started talking to Brian, repeating essentially the same thing she just told me:

Old lady: I was just telling her how happy it made me to see her. I have a friend who's 6'1", and 82 years old. She's just like how she used to be. But my friend's all hunched over. It's wonderful how she carries herself, isn't it? Tell her! Be tall and proud. It's great....

Brian didn't say anything, but the girl at the ticket counter kinda laughed and said:
Ticket girl: I bet you get that a lot, huh?
Me: Yeah.
Ticket girl: It must get annoying.
Me: Yeah, a lot of the time, but I think she's kinda funny.

So yeah... the lady followed us the whole way into the theater talking some more about my posture and her friend. She was kinda cute though. Probably just b/c she was old and outspoken.

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Randi@SowderingAbout said...

old people can be so sweet sometimes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home