Thursday, February 16, 2006

Scene 211: Court Lobby

I'm walkling into work and I stop to say something to the girls at the customer service desk. A pudgy guy coming in behind me bumps into me and says:

Pudgy guy: (in awe, in an overstated tone of voice) Oh my gosh, I'm SO sorry.
Me: It's okay.
Pudgy guy: (still in awe-struck, overstated tone) No REALLY. Please forgive me. (Pause) Woah... did you play basketball?
Me: No.
Pudgy guy: WHAT? You NEVER played basketball?? I can't believe it!
Me: Nope. Never. Sorry.

I left him with a totally dumbfounded expression. I guess in his mind he was trying to process how on earth I could be so tall and not be a basketball player.

7 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Alice in Absurdistan said...

Wear a T-shirt that says: "Yep, I'm 6'6". Nope, I NEVER played basketball!" And then see what people's reactions are. Any? Same? Different?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

That guy sounds totally stoned.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

You should have held him in Contempt!

( I don't even know what that means)

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

He did seem kinda stoned.

Alice - I have a tshirt that says: "six five" on it but ppl are usually so busy staring and wondering if I play basketball that they hardly ever notice what I'm wearing. Plus I forget I'm wearing it since I'm so used to just answering "6'5."

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! I've put a link to your blog in my swedish blog :) [giraffen197.webblogg.se] I'm 197cm, almost your height :) I also have a yahoogroup called Tall_Josephine. Welcome over! I love the comments from kids, they are great :) grownups though can be a pain in the ass not showing slightest sign of fantasy or imagination...

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of the uncouth short men you meet, there isn't much to say. Height isn't in our control when we are born.

For the gentlemen group I associate with. Women of all height are great, it's just that the tall ones stand out more; and in no way deserve any ridicule. Height is natural, most women have GREAT personalities.

Lastly I'll send you support in the form of a smile and a shrug for when you have to contend with the non-stop questions and small minded people. :)

Thanks to Josephine and you for sharing and allowing us to support back.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Georgiana said...

My favorite response to the "do you play basketball?" question is: "No. Do you play miniature golf?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home